Support AG Bell Today

The Trials of Breast Cancer and Deafness

Treating breast cancer is a huge deal. Throw in some masks and miscommunication and you have what it’s like to be deaf with cancer.

Lea en Español

By Lisa A. Goldstein

The American Cancer Society estimates that there will be about 287,850 new cases of invasive breast cancer diagnosed in women in 2022. I’m one of them. I was diagnosed on August 31, 2022 with Stage 2A triple negative invasive ductal carcinoma.

My journey into the dreaded world of cancer has been enlightening, to say the least. Being deaf has complicated things at times, especially since we’re still in a pandemic. One word: masks.

Being the journalist that I am, I started a blog as a way to keep people updated and help myself cope. I looked back at some of my posts in which my deafness was a potential obstacle.

Take my biopsy, which was only a few days after my mammogram and breast ultrasound. During the procedure, one nurse remained on my left side to give me a play by play and hold my hand. I had requested they wear clear masks when I made the appointment, which made the experience easier.

From the beginning, virtual communication was easy. My health system has a portal through which we receive test results and can send messages. I also have the direct email address of my oncologist, who usually responds quickly.

At the start, everyone wore a ClearMask. No one likes them, least of all me. Though I can see more of the face, but the masks are uncomfortable and difficult to wear. Most people don’t wear them correctly, and actually wear them in a way that renders them unsafe.

My family members wear a FaceView mask, which I much prefer. The problem is it’s not FDA approved for healthcare providers. I reached out to the ADA coordinator for my health system to let her know that I would be coming to Magee-Women’s Hospital regularly for appointments, and that the ClearMask wasn’t the best mask. She said she would make sure there was a steady supply of masks, which ended up being the Safe’N’Clear  mask. I dislike it, but it at least is a better fit than the ClearMask. I just have to constantly ask people to adjust the clear window so I can see their lips better.

Because my cancer is aggressive and triple negative (the receptor type), I was told I needed chemo: four rounds of A/C chemo every three weeks, followed by weekly Taxol for 12 weeks. An immunology treatment for the triple negative cancer is provided every three weeks; I’ll be on that for a year.

That initial appointment was quite overwhelming. Thankfully my husband Aaron was there (and has continued to be there) taking notes. I looked into wearing a cooling cap, which helps prevent hair loss in some people. But ultimately, decided against it for several reasons – including that it wouldn’t be great with my cochlear implant (CI).

The next step typically is to have a breast MRI, which I can’t have due to my CI. My doctor wasn’t fazed by this and I got a PET/CAT scan instead. That was an exercise in patience! I had to sit still for an hour after being injected by dye. Any muscle movement could influence how it spread through my body. I asked if I could read my Kindle, promising to barely use a finger to turn pages. The technician laughed but said no. I thought I could talk, but they also discourage talking (muscles and eye movements).

Who knew PET scans were discriminatory? A person who can hear can listen to podcasts, music, or an audio book. I could have taken the time to meditate, sleep, or pen the next bestseller in my head. Because I had no choice, I closed my eyes and tried to catch up on sleep. After a few minutes, I had my husband take out my hearing devices, because that’s how I’m used to sleeping and can’t tune out noise. Reader, I did not sleep. But I rested.

Then the actual scan presented some difficulty. Aaron interpreted for me throughout by wearing his clear mask. We worked out a system for when the iodine contrast would be injected; the tech said she would double tap my wrist beforehand.

Another issue was when to hold my breath. I couldn’t see anyone when in the machine, nor could I see any machine lights or anything like that (which should be an accessibility feature!) to know when to do so. The tech said to breathe slowly, and she would just watch my breathing and get the scans at the right times.

The scans came back clear; no evidence of spread. Hooray!

Soon after this, I met with the surgeon for an initial consultation. She was prepared and patient, with drawings to explain the kind of cancer I have and how it formed.

Then I started chemo. As I write this, five months down and one more to go, I have to say the Women’s Cancer Center has been accommodating. Sometimes the front desk person will wear a clear mask. The person who takes me for my vitals always wears a clear mask, as does my nurse for that day. There are several infusion rooms in the cancer center; all of them have a frosted glass window in between with a curtain (that’s usually left open). Sometimes there will be someone across from me or diagonally across from me, but I don’t strike up conversation because they’re masked. Sometimes the other patients talk to each other. This is one aspect of community that I’m missing, though I’m part of a couple of online support groups.

I met with a genetic counselor in late September. Aaron couldn’t be there, so he called in and I had him on FaceTime. Throughout the meeting, I kept hearing him say things, but the counselor didn’t react and kept on going. It wasn’t until Aaron waved his hands frantically to get my attention that I realized my phone was hooked up directly to my CI via Bluetooth. The counselor hadn’t heard anything he said! The genetic results, by the way, came back all negative!

When my hair started thinning and falling out, I took control and shaved it off – having some fun along the way. Once I was bald, we were able to see my cochlear implant scars for the first time. Later on, I had to add a moleskin to the back of the magnet, because it was too sensitive on my bald scalp. When I take my hat off, there’s no mistaking my hearing aid and CI!

I had a port installed after my first chemo treatment. This is a device placed under the skin that makes chemo infusions and blood draws easier. I received a low dose of twilight sleep during the procedure. I had to turn my head to the left, facing one of the nurses. Like the nurse during the biopsy, she gave me a play by play of what was happening and always had her reassuring hand on me.

I met with the surgeon again halfway through my chemo regimen. She said the surgery would be a lumpectomy, an outpatient procedure, a month after I finish chemo. The hardest part will be the restrictions – I won’t be able to move my right arm (my dominant one) for two weeks. This includes no repetition, even small movements. Think the mouse and typing – on my keyboard, and phone. Speech recognition isn’t a great alternative for me because it always has trouble with my deaf accent.

Now I have four chemo treatments to go, with surgery a month later, followed by radiation. I can’t wait to be done with the chemo portion, which hasn’t been easy. The other things are sure to be a breeze in comparison.

The best news, though, is that my once palpable 3-4 cm tumor has shrunk/disappeared; I can’t feel or find it.

Stay tuned!

Las pruebas del cáncer de mama y la sordera

El tratamiento del cáncer de mama es un gran problema. Agregue algunas máscaras y falta de comunicación y tendrá lo que es ser sordo con cáncer.

Por Lisa A. Goldstein

Según las estimaciones de la American Cancer Society (Sociedad Americana contra el Cáncer), en 2022 se diagnosticarían unos 287.850 nuevos casos de cáncer de mama invasivo en mujeres. Yo soy una de ellas. El 31 de agosto de 2022 me diagnosticaron un carcinoma ductal invasivo triple negativo en estadio 2A.

Mi itinerario por el temido mundo del cáncer está siendo aleccionador, cuanto menos. Tener sordera complica a veces las cosas, sobre todo porque aún continúa la situación de pandemia y se siguen utilizando las mascarillas faciales.

Fiel a mi vocación de periodista, creé un blog con el fin de informar a las personas que me siguen y como ayuda personal para sobrellevar la enfermedad. En algunos de los posts publiqué que la sordera era un obstáculo potencial.

Por ejemplo, la biopsia, que se realizó unos días después de la mamografía y la ecografía mamaria. Durante el procedimiento, una enfermera se situó a mi izquierda para facilitarme indicaciones y sostenerme la mano. Cuando concerté la cita, pedí que se utilizaran mascarillas transparentes, lo que facilitó la experiencia.

En todo momento, la comunicación virtual está siendo sencilla. Mi sistema sanitario dispone de un portal a través del cual recibimos los resultados de las pruebas y podemos enviar mensajes. Tengo también la dirección de correo electrónico del oncólogo que me trata y que me suele responder con rapidez.

Al principio, todas las personas llevaban mascarillas ClearMask, que a nadie le agradan y a mí tampoco. Si bien permiten ver mejor la cara, son incómodas y difíciles de llevar. La mayoría de las personas no se las coloca correctamente y, de hecho, se compromete la seguridad.

Mis familiares utilizan mascarillas FaceView y las prefiero con diferencia. El problema es que no están aprobadas por la FDA para su utilización por parte de los profesionales sanitarios. Me puse en contacto con la coordinadora de la ADA de mi sistema sanitario para informarle de que acudiría al Magee-Womens Hospital con regularidad para las citas. Me dijo que procuraría que hubiera un suministro constante de mascarillas, que finalmente fueron Safe’N’Clear. No son de mi agrado pero al menos se ajustan mejor que las mascarillas ClearMask. De todas formas, tengo que pedir a la gente constantemente que se ajuste la ventana transparente para poder verles mejor los labios.

Como mi cáncer es agresivo y triple negativo (el tipo de receptor), me dijeron que necesitaba quimioterapia: cuatro rondas de quimio A/C cada tres semanas, seguidas de Taxol semanal durante 12 semanas. Cada tres semanas se administra un tratamiento inmunológico para el cáncer triple negativo y, en mi caso, durará un año.

La cita inicial fue bastante abrumadora. Afortunadamente, mi marido Aaron me acompañó (y me sigue acompañando) para tomar las notas oportunas. Contemplé la posibilidad de llevar un gorro hipotérmico que a algunas personas les ayuda a evitar que se les caiga el cabello, si bien, finalmente, no lo hice por varios motivos, entre ellos que no era compatible con el implante coclear (IC).

El siguiente paso suele ser una RM de mama, que no se me pudo realizar debido al IC. Mi médico decidió que, en su lugar, me realizaran un PET/TAC. ¡Fue un verdadero ejercicio de paciencia! Tuve que permanecer sentada durante una hora tras la inyección del medio de contraste, ya que cualquier movimiento muscular podía influir en su propagación por el organismo. Pregunté si podía leer en el Kindle, prometiendo que apenas utilizaría un dedo para pasar de página. La técnica se rio pero me dijo que no. Pensé que podría hablar pero también se me dijo que no hablase (por los movimientos musculares y oculares).

¿Quién iba a decir que las exploraciones PET eran discriminatorias? Una persona que puede oír puede escuchar podcasts, música o audiolibros. Podría haber aprovechado el tiempo para meditar o escribir mentalmente el próximo bestseller, pero finalmente cerré los ojos y traté de dormir un poco. Después de unos minutos, le pedí a mi esposo que me quitara los dispositivos auditivos, porque acostumbro a dormir sin ellos y no puedo conciliar el sueño si hay ruido. Puedo asegurar que no me llegué a dormir, pero descansé.

Por otra parte, la propia exploración presentó algunas dificultades. Aaron actuó de intérprete todo el tiempo llevando su mascarilla transparente. Llegamos a un acuerdo para hacerme saber cuándo se me inyectaría el contraste yodado; la técnica dijo que me daría antes dos golpecitos en la muñeca.

Otro problema era saber cuándo tenía que contener la respiración. No podía ver a nadie estando dentro del aparato ni tampoco ninguna luz ni nada parecido (¡que debería ser un elemento de accesibilidad!) para saber cuándo hacerlo. La técnica me dijo que respirase despacio y que ella vigilaría mi respiración y realizaría las exploraciones en los momentos oportunos.

Las exploraciones salieron claras, sin evidencia de propagación. ¡Hurra!

Al poco tiempo después, me reuní con la cirujana para una consulta inicial. Estaba preparada y fue paciente, explicándome mediante dibujos el tipo de cáncer que tengo y cómo se formó.

A continuación, empecé con la quimioterapia. Mientras escribo esto, con cinco meses menos y uno más por delante, tengo que decir que el Women’s Cancer Center se ha adaptado a mis peticiones, en general. La persona encargada de la recepción lleva una mascarilla transparente a veces y la persona que me toma las constantes vitales la lleva siempre, al igual que la enfermera que esté de turno. En el centro oncológico hay varias salas de infusión y todas ellas tienen una ventana de vidrio esmerilado en medio con una cortina (que se suele dejar abierta). Algunas veces me encuentro con otra paciente situada enfrente de mí o en diagonal, pero no entablo conversación con ella porque lleva mascarilla. En ocasiones, otras pacientes hablan entre ellas y este es un aspecto social al que no tengo acceso, aunque formo parte de un par de grupos de apoyo en línea.

A finales de septiembre mantuve una reunión con un asesor genético. Aaron no me pudo acompañar, pero le llamé y mantuvimos contacto por FaceTime. Durante la reunión, oía cómo mi esposo realizaba comentarios pero el asesor no reaccionaba y seguía adelante. No fue hasta que Aaron agitó las manos frenéticamente para llamar mi atención cuando me di cuenta de que mi teléfono estaba conectado directamente a mi IC por Bluetooth. ¡El asesor no había oído nada de lo que mi esposo había dicho! Los resultados genéticos, por cierto, ¡fueron todos negativos!

Cuando mi cabello empezó a ralear y a caerse, tomé la decisión de afeitarme el cuero cabelludo, lo que me resultó hasta divertido. Una vez con la cabeza rapada, pudimos ver por primera vez las cicatrices del implante coclear. Más tarde, tuvimos que añadir un parche de piel de topo en la parte posterior del imán, porque era demasiado sensible en el cuero cabelludo. Cuando me quito el gorro, ¡no es posible confundir el audífono y el implante coclear!

Después del primer tratamiento de quimioterapia me colocaron un puerto. Se trata de un dispositivo que se coloca bajo la piel y que facilita las infusiones de quimioterapia y las extracciones de sangre. Recibí una pequeña dosis de sedación durante el procedimiento. Tuve que girar la cabeza hacia la izquierda y me encontré de cara con una de las enfermeras. Al igual que hizo la enfermera presente durante la biopsia, esta enfermera me explicó paso a paso lo que estaba ocurriendo y me sostuvo la mano para tranquilizarme.

Volví a reunirme con la cirujana a la mitad de la pauta de quimioterapia. Me dijo que la intervención quirúrgica consistiría en una tumorectomía, que es un procedimiento ambulatorio, un mes después de que finalizase la quimioterapia. La parte más complicada serán las limitaciones, ya que no podré mover el brazo derecho (mi brazo dominante) durante dos semanas. Se incluyen las repeticiones, ni siquiera de pequeños movimientos, como sería el caso manejando un ratón y escribiendo en un teclado o en el teléfono. El reconocimiento de voz no es una gran alternativa en mi caso porque no funciona muy bien considerando que tengo un acento de persona con sordera.

Actualmente, me quedan cuatro tratamientos de quimioterapia. La intervención quirúrgica tendrá lugar un mes después, seguida de radiación. Estoy impaciente por acabar con la parte de quimioterapia, que no ha sido fácil. El resto de los procedimientos serán muy sencillos en comparación.

La mejor noticia, sin embargo, es que mi tumor de 3-4 cm, que antes era palpable, se ha encogido/desaparecido; no puedo notarlo ni encontrarlo.

¡Seguiré informando!



AG Bell membership for families is always free!

Family membership benefits:

  • Financial Support

    Scholarships for technology, therapy, and education

  • Professional Guidance

    Speak to a parent who's been there or search for a certified therapist.

  • State Chapters

    Connect with and get support from local families like yours!

  • Resource Library

    Get answers with access to our information library

  • Volta Voices

    A bilingual magazine with in-depth stories about growing up with hearing loss

  • Loft & Leap

    Access to unique leadership & educational programs for teens

Seeking an AG Bell professional membership?

Get listed on our searchable professional directory, find educational and research resources, scholarships and mentorship.

Professional Membership Has Its Benefits

Join today to connect with fellow members, exchange insights, get listed in our global directory, and celebrate the journey of listening & spoken language.

Professional benefits include:

  • Continuing Education Units (CEUs)

    Earn CEUs through the AG Bell Academy, at our yearly Symposium, or through events held throughout the year for members

  • $100 off Exam Fees

    Take your Listening and Spoken Language Specialist (LSLS®) certification exam for less!

  • Event Discounts

    Discounted registration to AG Bell’s symposium and other events, plus special discounts on travel, restaurants, retail shops and more

  • LSL Professional Directory

    Get listed and found by families that need your services and students that want your mentorship

  • LSL Leading Edge

    An exclusive e-newsletter for AG Bell professional members packed with the latest news and developments in hearing health and the listening & spoken language field

  • Volta Voices 

    AG Bell’s award-winning, quarterly digital magazine in English and Spanish

  • Access to AG Bell’s Network

    Connect with 40+ state chapters located throughout the United States and Puerto Rico

  • Professional Opportunities

    Get involved in AG Bell through committees, task forces, councils and other venues for members to interact and contribute meaningfully

  • The Volta Review 

    Stay current with the latest research through our peer-reviewed, online professional research journal

Seeking membership as a friend or family member?

Membership is always free for family & friends of people who are deaf or hard of hearing and helps connect individuals to our professional community!